Why is it hard for many of us to do things for ourselves before we do for others? Perhaps you believe that you are ‘sacrificing’ yourself for family, friends and now your work; are you beginning to feel responsible for everything in life? And if others aren’t happy and life doesn’t work out is it your entire fault?
Women do usually lead the way, yes I agree with that BUT somehow along the way we now believe that the world won’t run if we don’t help it along.
Are you serving the people you love in your life before yourself? We do tend to be the caregivers in families putting our children, husbands, elderly parents, friends, and work colleagues but if you continue to do this over time you depreciate yourself, lose your self respect as well as totally losing sight of your dreams, your aspirations and what it is you want in life.
I’ll try and put into a sentence what happens if you continue to out others first. If you aren’t fulfilling your own needs what happens is you will ‘filter’ the needs of others through your own – so you actually don’t give your best, you give to others a ‘version’ of what you think they need. If you are always rushing around looking after everyone at home you could become very short-tempered and exhausted. With this sort of behaviour you will not ‘see’ the full picture of what is going on with family members as you are wrapped up in your exhaustion.
Here are a few ideas to get you thinking about some new ways to putting yourself first:
- Stop trying to be someone you aren’t – Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.
- Let go of the past – you can’t move forwards holding onto what is holding you back.
- Don’t be scared to make a mistake – each failure will lead you to success, you are far more productive to try and fail 10 x than to sit and do nothing.
- Stop thinking you have to buy happiness – get happy on the inside or it will never last. Look at your passions, love and laughter!
- Just do it – stop thinking you have to have everything in order to do something, you will never feel comfortable so just go for it.
- Stop competing against others – success is a battle between you and yourself only, don’t worry what others are doing.
- Stop being ungrateful – someone somewhere in this world is desperately fighting for their life – you have yours be grateful for a new day. Try not to think about what is missing from your life and think about what everyone else is missing!
When you start looking after your needs you become a better wife, partner, mother, daughter, friend and work colleague so what are you waiting for? Start today. Implement one change.
I’d love to hear your COMMENTS – what will you do today?!