• I don’t have time – I thought long and hard about this one and underneath this was the fact that I didn’t really want to change, there were parts of me I wanted to keep hold of. For you, think about what you like and don’t like about your situation so it becomes clearer what it is you REALLY want.
• I procrastinate all the time – this one follows on nicely as this is really FEAR, procrastination being a symptom of the real issue. Personally I was terrified of failure, what would happen, what would people say, what if the decision was wrong etc etc. What are you afraid of? What is your procrastination a symptom of?
• I have no motivation – for me I was exhausted with the whole situation of perpetuating money issues, destructive relationship thoughts and a whole negative mind-set about life. This totally flawed me leaving me listless without my usual drive and vitality. For you look outside yourself in your environment – are people draining you, are you burned out or lack support? Ask yourself these questions.
• I don’t have enough resources – this one hit the nail on the head for me. How could I possibly ask for help and pay for it when we couldn’t even cover the bills? Focusing on these external factors keeps you stuck (and also gives you permission to STAY stuck) but permanent change starts inside with clarity, will power, passion etc. As these grew and grew inside of me so my external resources grew! For you have a look if you are using your external resources effectively and look inside to see of those internal ones are depleting. This will bring some clarity to your situation.
• I have too many obligations – I had so many of ‘these responsibilities’ I convinced myself that I had to keep this up but in reality I was totally neglecting myself and my needs leaving me more and more unhappy and empty inside. So I started making the effort with me and not only did my happiness grow but I was able to be a ‘better’ person to others around me. So for you, who and what are taking your time and energy? How can you start to take responsibility for your own life?
• I have no idea who I am – if you feel you really don’t know yourself you have probably been neglecting yourself for a very long time. When at last I decided that I didn’t know what step to take next I realised I’d never actually taken any time out to discover who I was, what I wanted or even liked, I just bounced from one thing to another, reacting to situations, hoping for the best! So for you ask yourself today what you want from life, where do you see yourself in 6 months time, where do your values lie, have you any goals?
So right now make a start – start somewhere, anywhere, it doesn’t matter. Spend time alone every day exploring these beliefs. When the time comes to make changes in your life all you have to do is SMILE, BREATHE and take it SLOWLY.